Skip to main content

Wilson News

As National Sewing Month wraps up the Wilson family has been singing, blogging, sewing, and visiting with family.  Read on for the latest.

I read today that September is National Sewing Month.  Maybe that will inspire me.  Actually I think it will have no effect at all but I'm excited about my numerous sewing projects.  Unfortunately one is top-secret for my sister.  Boo because I love secrets but I want to post pictures and tell blogland all about it.

Tonight Thomas sang, "Row, row, row your boat softly down the stream, merrily Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow."  At times John and I look at each other and wonder where he gets it.  So many of the things he says, or sings as the case may be, seem to be repeating nursery leaders or other adults and he does have a good memory so that could very well be the case but it's impossible to tell.  Tonight he said Daddy taught him this song so he's not a reliable source of truth on the matter.

Blogger has a new format which I am rejoicing over.  I get to use words like rejoicing because today is Sunday.  I rejoice that finally finally FINE.AL.LEE (looks like a good name, hmmm) I am able to draft a blog post in a bigger box which is much to my satisfaction.  Innumerable are the times I've wished the box weren't so cursedly small.

Today we blessed Luke at church.  That means that John gave him a Priesthood blessing stating his name and he is an official child on the records of the church.  It's significant as a ceremony to celebrate Luke's birth and place in our family as well as an opportunity for his father to bless him.   More on children and blessings here.  As John gave the words of the blessing I thought of how John has come full-circle from being the baby being blessed by his father to do each of the things he blessed Luke to do, to develop wisdom, serve in the church, be married in the temple, and enjoy the blessings of having children in his life.  The two mothers, John's mother, and Luke's mother sat side by side listening to the words of the prayer and I thought she must be proud of her son, I sure am.

Over the past few weeks my mind has been inundated, or should I say I've inundated myself with images of activities, crafts, and sewing projects that I would love to do given unlimited resources.  The internet is a smorgasbord of ideas.  I could elaborate infinitely.  Suffice it to say, I think I've figured out a new hobby and source of pleasure and purpose.

Being the mother of three boys is surprisingly fun.  I love seeing them interact with each other, especially when one of them is not being smacked around.  I wanted to have them in the first place because I thought it would be fun.   Then I was scared.  I probably should have been.  But what I really dread is shuttling children from school to piano lessons to rush making dinner, guiding homework completion, making lunches, attending PTA meetings, on top of preparing lessons for church, scheduling doctor's visits, and all the many more activities surrounding school-aged children.  It's so fun to spend a leisurely day at the park.  (Until someone has to go to the bathroom)  The other day we ran to the park and I laid on a blanket staring at the clouds with Thomas and Luke and thought this is all I want from my life!  The soft breeze and beautiful clouds flooded my mind with memories of lying on a field after track practice, or lying in the grass in the front yard in my childhood home.  The connection I felt to the other stages of my life brought me to question whether I fulfill some Eternal Plan by staring at the blue sky.  The connectedness made me feel as though my existence goes on and on and it was fulfilling like drinking a much needed glass of pure water.  I love water.

In the blog world much has been said about the "Mormon Mommy Blogs" being all about perfection and how intimidating that can be for one woman to read about another woman's seemingly perfect life.  I hope that my blog is real and not just about the good times, giving the false impression of sparkling clean cheeks and hands and spotless rooms where giggling and cheerful sounds issue forth their precious melodies from morning to night.  I don't think being happy all the time equals joy and fulfillment, and there are times I am not happy, that my children are crying, or that my house is messy and I feel intimidated and overwhelmed by it.  Life is challenging.  Meeting our challenges brings the joy and fulfillment we are all seeking in life. 

The trip through life brings ups and downs.  At times we may think we could never sink further.  Other times we gaze down from mountain peaks of inner strength and happiness; we can conquer anything!  By some measurements of life I could be caught in a ravine that my children are needy and little, demanding much of my time and energy.  By other measures I might be on a plateau not progressing in some disciplines of my life.  In spite of all things and all things considered maybe I just don't know why I'm so happy but I can't help feeling that these are the good days.  And these days are good.

Comments

Mrs. P said…
What a wonderful post! I know what you mean about wanting to do so many little crafts and projects...I have a serious wish list. But mostly I love what you said about being fulfilled. I was just telling Dallin about how happy and fulfilled I am staying home and taking care of him and the house and I can't wait to take care of our little girl. These really are good days!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Spencer!

Spencer David Wilson was born on Monday at 5:42 am, at American Fork Hospital. A few hours later John and I agreed on a name for him at last. He was 7 pounds, 5.2 ounces, and 20 inches long. He has dark fine baby hair. It is so soft! He has a very red complexion compared with Thomas, and a fuller face and darker hair. My mommy has come to take care of me and we are having a great time in spite of having a flu bug which has gotten to several people unfortunately, including my mom and my sister and Thomas, but not John, Spencer, or me. Everyone is on the mend so we are praying for no more sickness! I delivered with the Mt. Timpanogos Women's Health Center and Claudia was my midwife, and Joanne was my doula and Kimmi my nurse. Karyann my sister, and John were also there and it was a great experience to have such a devoted team! I can't begin to tell you what a completely different experience it was compared with Thomas' birth. Everyone was emotionally there as well ...

A Pregnant Post by Paige about Pregnancy

Here's the belly progression: 6 Months 8.5 Months Warning! This post may contain personal musings about pregnancy. It may read like a journal. It may contain baby excitement and overall feelings of joy. So I have been stepping on things lately. Mostly toys. How is this possible, you ask? Those of you familiar with my adroit walking skills may be puzzled at this point. I know I was until I took a shower this morning. And I couldn't see my feet at all; not a hint of them, no toes, nothing, not even when leaning forward could I see anything but a belly button sun on the horizon of a large earth belly. And that is why I've been stepping on things. Thomas' toy hammer, a plastic giraffe, the zipper of John's coat . . . The loss of my peripheral vision going down is apparently complete. I can't see where I am stepping! What a frightening feeling. I have also been walking into common household objects with my belly. Doorknobs and chairs. Major medial disco...

Sweepstakes! Paige wins MONEY!!!

Don't you love starburst? http://www.starburst.com/ Yes, this is a promotional blog entry because of how much I love my Grandma and Grandpa, Pinatas and, Starburst! Oh, and money. Once upon a time in the summer of 2009, Paige went on a family reunion trip to the middle of nowhere after which reunion John blogged about life preservers on horseback. (Follow links on the right to read John's blog) Before we returned home to the safety of our own life jacket-less lives, we enjoyed a pinata with the cousins. Hiding behind the tree from which the pinata swung violently, I safely would look out for breakage in the pinata and subsequent candy wreakage on the grass beneath. Finally my moment arrived! Among the 20 grandchildren or so present, I dove into the mass of cousin arms and legs and grabbed at all candy visible and invisible (the candy under Colton when he decided to lay on the stash for its protection). I realize now that the failures of my youth to gather pinata can...