Happy New Year! err, President's Day, Valentine's . . . ? . . . ?
Christmas
It takes me a gazillion times longer to blog con photos, so here's the text only version of this blog post. I look forward to sharing my gorgeous La Jolla pictures soon.
We had a great Christmas with my family in Southern California, and I can't believe how time just keeps flying so happy 2012. I am inspired on a daily basis by blogs that have been updated several times this year already with glorious crafts, sewing projects, and recipes that they have whipped up with that post-holiday energy and New Year's Resolution motivation.
Today I was reading one of our Church Magazines (the Ensign), and this article in it that talked about measuring up to what God has for you to do rather than comparing yourself to others. Elder Cook writes, "A challenge for all of us is not to look sideways to see how others are viewing our lives but to look up to see how Heavenly Father sees us." Click here to read the whole thing.
I also just enjoyed reading this article from a Catholic mother of nine children, speaking of the difficulties of being a mother of just one. I think she is spot on, and helped me to have more perspective especially when I'm talking to someone with only one child and struggling to remember what it was like when it was just Thomas and I staring at each other all day. Here's the link to this one.
We flew to Hemet for Christmas (wouldn't it be crazy-amazing-beautiful) if we could just fly right into Hemet? Well, anyway it was the best just to be with my Mom and Dad and sisters and Elias. We missed Karyann and her family, but somehow managed to enjoy Christmas without them. wink wink :) My Grandma Madsen was there too, which was great. So we had our traditional Christmas Eve at my Doty Grandparent's house, and my Aunt and cousins were in town and we got to spend lots of time eating, talking, singing Christmas Carols, telling tear-jerker Christmas stories, and opening presents.
John had been planning a neat toy for the boys practically all year but he knew he couldn't have it built in time for Christmas because it was somewhat complicated until he told my dad about it and they put it together in the last couple days before Christmas. I always forget that when we go to my parents my husband disappears with "the men" and reemerges in time to pack up and take me home. John did practically the whole gift on his own after my dad built him a box so I'll have to take some pictures and show it to you. Pretty neat.
Thanksgiving
Going back to before Christmas, we were super duper lucky to drive to Colorado (yes 16 hours is insane in the car with 3 kids) and visit John's Grandma Harrison and celebrate Thanksgiving with his Aunt, her new hubby, cousins, their kids, and we got to see Grandpa Harrison and Grandma Gail too. We were sad that John's sister Sarah wasn't there but we still had the best time.
I will still consider this a new year until April. At least. It's not until summer comes that I accept the fact that it is no longer January.
Speaking of April, we went for a walk and it was gorgeous perfect weather today.
Last Year
Da Pot: I was excited to blog about my basil planting until I killed 3 basil plants. (more actually, since a few times there were three plants included in the one plant) Anyhoo, the novelty wore off and the frustration set in and I gave up planting and blogging about failed attempts at planting. The lack of sunlight in my kitchen is the culprit, and since I don't want to buy a special light/lamp I've thrown in the towel. The End.
Don't worry I'm working on a motherhood blog entry, and I'm excited about it.
Family
John
John is enjoying his job which is good as well as a relief. As I speak he's accompanying himself on the piano while he sings from Les Miserables. He works hard and is learning confidence and practical knowledge has he navigates this new career world. A side project he has been putting a lot of hours into is paying off in experience he can use at work, and count towards continuing education hours for work.
Paige
Well I am enjoying life in general most of the time, and feeling frazzled and overwhelmed or just underslept the rest of the time. I am happiest when I'm around other people so I'm sure I seem to always be happy when talking to others besides my husband. Sorry Babes. I love Texas; the people and the family-friendliness of it all. Food is good, drivers are courteous, weather is nice. I've been learning new crafting and sewing skills although I hardly have any time to do any of it. Luke is a whopping 18 pounds so that is pretty much what I've been up to day and night for the past 7 months, nearly. I spend a lot of time cooking and preparing food and I've been trying new recipes recently such as Thai Fried Rice, Death by Chocolate Cake, Buttermilk Whole Wheat Pancakes, Mango Quinoa Salad, Teriyaki Chicken and rice... None of those sound exciting, but it is exciting! I have a new Wok, and two new frying pans! (fain enthusiasm please) My hair is lightening up in this good sunny weather, and looking more "normal" to me like it did in high school. High school and normal don't belong in the same sentence. Whatever. See that is high school for pretty much anything you want it to be. It's nice that it's not all black but has some of it's normal brown highlights. I'm blogging about my hair. Hair hair HAR! I need a haircut. But I'm so cheap. And I don't want to have it all chopped off on accident! So here I sit blogging and saving money on my hair. Moving on . . .
Thomas
Thomas is starting prewriting and reading, and he loves numbers. Today he asked me to teach him how to tell time, and after I explained about minute and hour hands I asked him if it made sense and he said, "um, no." His first written word was "agency" and he spelled it A-squiggle-C, and today yesterday he said Okay is OK, and that's is OK and that's it. John looked at me, like did you teach him that, but I didn't. I'm really happy about his interest in counting and numbers. I think that's really important. He knows some addition facts and loves counting with his fingers. What I love about it is not the specific knowledge but that he has some intrinsic love for numbers and counting.
Today he was trying to use the word "privacy" in discribing an abscure scene from The Incredibles:
Do you know when those Army men were shooting, and then they lost their privacy? What does that even mean?
Look at my boat. It is a 3-man boat.
Me: Where do the men sit?
It can hold woman too. It can hold men and woman.
Other things he has said that make us scratch our heads:
MOM! Our toddler is touching that baby thing.
Mommy, I never want to wash my favorite pajam-y's again!
At bedtime: Two more stories and then I will let you go!
Whenever I go potty of pottiness, my leg hurts.
Mommy: You don't have any limits!
Thomas: Well I will get some limits!
I'm getting some limits RIGHT NOW.
Spencer
Spencer is learning to talk and each day his vocabury multiplies. He is much more obsessed by trains than Thomas ever has been or probably ever will be. He is good at trading for toys he wants, a beautiful dancer, and he somehow possesses the highest squeaky voice on planet Earth. He is very much a two-year-old in pretty much all he does. Many of his words and phrases sound like other words and phrases and he doesn't always make any kind of sense. Bobby Choo Choo translated is Thomas the Train. He is still pleasant and cuddly and sweet. When he's not screaming. His stubborness is unsurpassed even by fullgrown Doty men. If he wants a cookie and he hasn't finished his dinner no amount of negotiating or cajoling will worm another bite in his two year old face.
My favorite thing about Spencer right now is his effortless relationship with Luke. He tunes right in to him, singing, smiling, and cooing at him. He doesn't scare him, he rarely loves him too much, and although he is constantly taking Luke's toys away, I know it's just because they share common interests.
Luke
Luke is growing so fast that he's quickly catching up to Spencer in weight. As I first realized what was happening I kind of panicked, but now I see how cute they are sitting next to each other nearly the same size and I love it. Luke is pleasant, relaxed, and the right mix of cuddly and yet independent. He's starting to eat solids but not very much. He's very interested but only barely ready as he choaks easily, and can't keep down more that a couple tablespoons. He's had a couple of colds already since birth but nothing serious. Strong and curious, he hates to be put down, loves to stand, sit and roll over, and can sort of crawl when he's screaming and crying which no, does not count as "real crawling." Plus, I think it's backwards. He's my first baby to have fat rolls, a double chin, or red hair. As far as seeing the hair, it's nearly impossible since he's nearly bald. I love having a squishy baby. I love that he is named Luke. I love his smile. I love that he looks like John.
All of us share our love of singing, music in general, building with blocks, Lincoln Logs and Legos, tickling and making each other laugh, going for walks, driving in the car together, piling on Daddy, eating yummy food, and going to church together.
Christmas
It takes me a gazillion times longer to blog con photos, so here's the text only version of this blog post. I look forward to sharing my gorgeous La Jolla pictures soon.
We had a great Christmas with my family in Southern California, and I can't believe how time just keeps flying so happy 2012. I am inspired on a daily basis by blogs that have been updated several times this year already with glorious crafts, sewing projects, and recipes that they have whipped up with that post-holiday energy and New Year's Resolution motivation.
Today I was reading one of our Church Magazines (the Ensign), and this article in it that talked about measuring up to what God has for you to do rather than comparing yourself to others. Elder Cook writes, "A challenge for all of us is not to look sideways to see how others are viewing our lives but to look up to see how Heavenly Father sees us." Click here to read the whole thing.
I also just enjoyed reading this article from a Catholic mother of nine children, speaking of the difficulties of being a mother of just one. I think she is spot on, and helped me to have more perspective especially when I'm talking to someone with only one child and struggling to remember what it was like when it was just Thomas and I staring at each other all day. Here's the link to this one.
We flew to Hemet for Christmas (wouldn't it be crazy-amazing-beautiful) if we could just fly right into Hemet? Well, anyway it was the best just to be with my Mom and Dad and sisters and Elias. We missed Karyann and her family, but somehow managed to enjoy Christmas without them. wink wink :) My Grandma Madsen was there too, which was great. So we had our traditional Christmas Eve at my Doty Grandparent's house, and my Aunt and cousins were in town and we got to spend lots of time eating, talking, singing Christmas Carols, telling tear-jerker Christmas stories, and opening presents.
John had been planning a neat toy for the boys practically all year but he knew he couldn't have it built in time for Christmas because it was somewhat complicated until he told my dad about it and they put it together in the last couple days before Christmas. I always forget that when we go to my parents my husband disappears with "the men" and reemerges in time to pack up and take me home. John did practically the whole gift on his own after my dad built him a box so I'll have to take some pictures and show it to you. Pretty neat.
Thanksgiving
Going back to before Christmas, we were super duper lucky to drive to Colorado (yes 16 hours is insane in the car with 3 kids) and visit John's Grandma Harrison and celebrate Thanksgiving with his Aunt, her new hubby, cousins, their kids, and we got to see Grandpa Harrison and Grandma Gail too. We were sad that John's sister Sarah wasn't there but we still had the best time.
I will still consider this a new year until April. At least. It's not until summer comes that I accept the fact that it is no longer January.
Speaking of April, we went for a walk and it was gorgeous perfect weather today.
Last Year
Da Pot: I was excited to blog about my basil planting until I killed 3 basil plants. (more actually, since a few times there were three plants included in the one plant) Anyhoo, the novelty wore off and the frustration set in and I gave up planting and blogging about failed attempts at planting. The lack of sunlight in my kitchen is the culprit, and since I don't want to buy a special light/lamp I've thrown in the towel. The End.
Don't worry I'm working on a motherhood blog entry, and I'm excited about it.
Family
John
John is enjoying his job which is good as well as a relief. As I speak he's accompanying himself on the piano while he sings from Les Miserables. He works hard and is learning confidence and practical knowledge has he navigates this new career world. A side project he has been putting a lot of hours into is paying off in experience he can use at work, and count towards continuing education hours for work.
Paige
Well I am enjoying life in general most of the time, and feeling frazzled and overwhelmed or just underslept the rest of the time. I am happiest when I'm around other people so I'm sure I seem to always be happy when talking to others besides my husband. Sorry Babes. I love Texas; the people and the family-friendliness of it all. Food is good, drivers are courteous, weather is nice. I've been learning new crafting and sewing skills although I hardly have any time to do any of it. Luke is a whopping 18 pounds so that is pretty much what I've been up to day and night for the past 7 months, nearly. I spend a lot of time cooking and preparing food and I've been trying new recipes recently such as Thai Fried Rice, Death by Chocolate Cake, Buttermilk Whole Wheat Pancakes, Mango Quinoa Salad, Teriyaki Chicken and rice... None of those sound exciting, but it is exciting! I have a new Wok, and two new frying pans! (fain enthusiasm please) My hair is lightening up in this good sunny weather, and looking more "normal" to me like it did in high school. High school and normal don't belong in the same sentence. Whatever. See that is high school for pretty much anything you want it to be. It's nice that it's not all black but has some of it's normal brown highlights. I'm blogging about my hair. Hair hair HAR! I need a haircut. But I'm so cheap. And I don't want to have it all chopped off on accident! So here I sit blogging and saving money on my hair. Moving on . . .
Thomas
Thomas is starting prewriting and reading, and he loves numbers. Today he asked me to teach him how to tell time, and after I explained about minute and hour hands I asked him if it made sense and he said, "um, no." His first written word was "agency" and he spelled it A-squiggle-C, and today yesterday he said Okay is OK, and that's is OK and that's it. John looked at me, like did you teach him that, but I didn't. I'm really happy about his interest in counting and numbers. I think that's really important. He knows some addition facts and loves counting with his fingers. What I love about it is not the specific knowledge but that he has some intrinsic love for numbers and counting.
Today he was trying to use the word "privacy" in discribing an abscure scene from The Incredibles:
Do you know when those Army men were shooting, and then they lost their privacy? What does that even mean?
Look at my boat. It is a 3-man boat.
Me: Where do the men sit?
It can hold woman too. It can hold men and woman.
I did that
so fast I could hardly not breathe.
Other things he has said that make us scratch our heads:
MOM! Our toddler is touching that baby thing.
Mommy, I never want to wash my favorite pajam-y's again!
At bedtime: Two more stories and then I will let you go!
Whenever I go potty of pottiness, my leg hurts.
Mommy: You don't have any limits!
Thomas: Well I will get some limits!
I'm getting some limits RIGHT NOW.
Spencer
Spencer is learning to talk and each day his vocabury multiplies. He is much more obsessed by trains than Thomas ever has been or probably ever will be. He is good at trading for toys he wants, a beautiful dancer, and he somehow possesses the highest squeaky voice on planet Earth. He is very much a two-year-old in pretty much all he does. Many of his words and phrases sound like other words and phrases and he doesn't always make any kind of sense. Bobby Choo Choo translated is Thomas the Train. He is still pleasant and cuddly and sweet. When he's not screaming. His stubborness is unsurpassed even by fullgrown Doty men. If he wants a cookie and he hasn't finished his dinner no amount of negotiating or cajoling will worm another bite in his two year old face.
My favorite thing about Spencer right now is his effortless relationship with Luke. He tunes right in to him, singing, smiling, and cooing at him. He doesn't scare him, he rarely loves him too much, and although he is constantly taking Luke's toys away, I know it's just because they share common interests.
Luke
Luke is growing so fast that he's quickly catching up to Spencer in weight. As I first realized what was happening I kind of panicked, but now I see how cute they are sitting next to each other nearly the same size and I love it. Luke is pleasant, relaxed, and the right mix of cuddly and yet independent. He's starting to eat solids but not very much. He's very interested but only barely ready as he choaks easily, and can't keep down more that a couple tablespoons. He's had a couple of colds already since birth but nothing serious. Strong and curious, he hates to be put down, loves to stand, sit and roll over, and can sort of crawl when he's screaming and crying which no, does not count as "real crawling." Plus, I think it's backwards. He's my first baby to have fat rolls, a double chin, or red hair. As far as seeing the hair, it's nearly impossible since he's nearly bald. I love having a squishy baby. I love that he is named Luke. I love his smile. I love that he looks like John.
All of us share our love of singing, music in general, building with blocks, Lincoln Logs and Legos, tickling and making each other laugh, going for walks, driving in the car together, piling on Daddy, eating yummy food, and going to church together.
Comments
Your amazing, I hope you get more rest soon! Does Spencer stay in bed at night? How does Luke sleep at night? Love ya tons!