As you know if you read my blog I'm still trying to formulate a post or a series of posts or some kind of organization of tips and tricks I've collected from moms that are good advice and help in the sanity department of motherhood.
A few weeks ago I sat down to write this post, and before I was done I ran across another blog author's post about mom survival that was so well-done I completely shut down and couldn't finish mine because I felt like I had nothing to offer. I still think her post is amazing, but I'm going to try anyway.
I believe being a mom is the most important job in the world, but it's hard work and many things can make that hard work easier; mentally, physically, and emotionally. Finally I realized last night that I don't have to put it all in one post or 3 organized little post series! And what I say doesn't have to be perfect or help every mother.
When I had my first child I realized my whole existence had been altered. I spent the next few years figuring out what motherhood even meant to me, in essence, the why. I needed to find divine purpose in the mundane routine in order to feel joy and purpose in my daily life.
Once I figured out the why, I started working on the how. One beautiful day a woman on my street mentioned that she usually couldn't get together in the morning because she cleans in the morning and plays in the afternoon. What an idea! Organizing my life in that way had never occured to me before.
Now that I have three boys I haven't changed too much- I don't always clean at the same time or get my chores done, or care if the toilet has been cleaned- but I have come a long way and I'm so grateful for my development thus far.
I could never go back and live with my younger self. Not because I was bad but because I was annoying. I mean, because I most of the things I learn in life are so obvious that looking back on my life is embarrassing. In my mind. I have to mentally forgive myself and then my memories aren't so painful and I can almost laugh at the things I would say and do.
THE WHY
I always knew I wanted to be a mom when I grew up, even if it didn't sound cool enough to say it. I figured somehow I'd find another more legitimate job to go along with motherhood beforehand or on the side. I also imagined that I was a long lost princess from a kingdom far away and someday my family would come get me and I'd be rich.
Once I became a mom, I knew that motherhood was important but at the same time I was frustrated and overwhelmed by simple tasks I somehow didn't have time to do although I was at home doing what seemed like nothing all day long. Here's where the princess dream comes in. The why of motherhood is that we are princesses. We are daughters of Heavenly Father and he loves us and as his children we are little princesses. Making our homes like the homes we hail from in heaven includes menial tasks such as dishes. It is by doing small tasks that we accomplish the great good of providing stability, love, safety, happiness, boundaries, healthy food, and spiritual nourishment to our children.
Mother's work is God's work. That is why we do it, and that is why it is important.
A few weeks ago I sat down to write this post, and before I was done I ran across another blog author's post about mom survival that was so well-done I completely shut down and couldn't finish mine because I felt like I had nothing to offer. I still think her post is amazing, but I'm going to try anyway.
I believe being a mom is the most important job in the world, but it's hard work and many things can make that hard work easier; mentally, physically, and emotionally. Finally I realized last night that I don't have to put it all in one post or 3 organized little post series! And what I say doesn't have to be perfect or help every mother.
When I had my first child I realized my whole existence had been altered. I spent the next few years figuring out what motherhood even meant to me, in essence, the why. I needed to find divine purpose in the mundane routine in order to feel joy and purpose in my daily life.
Once I figured out the why, I started working on the how. One beautiful day a woman on my street mentioned that she usually couldn't get together in the morning because she cleans in the morning and plays in the afternoon. What an idea! Organizing my life in that way had never occured to me before.
Now that I have three boys I haven't changed too much- I don't always clean at the same time or get my chores done, or care if the toilet has been cleaned- but I have come a long way and I'm so grateful for my development thus far.
I could never go back and live with my younger self. Not because I was bad but because I was annoying. I mean, because I most of the things I learn in life are so obvious that looking back on my life is embarrassing. In my mind. I have to mentally forgive myself and then my memories aren't so painful and I can almost laugh at the things I would say and do.
THE WHY
I always knew I wanted to be a mom when I grew up, even if it didn't sound cool enough to say it. I figured somehow I'd find another more legitimate job to go along with motherhood beforehand or on the side. I also imagined that I was a long lost princess from a kingdom far away and someday my family would come get me and I'd be rich.
Once I became a mom, I knew that motherhood was important but at the same time I was frustrated and overwhelmed by simple tasks I somehow didn't have time to do although I was at home doing what seemed like nothing all day long. Here's where the princess dream comes in. The why of motherhood is that we are princesses. We are daughters of Heavenly Father and he loves us and as his children we are little princesses. Making our homes like the homes we hail from in heaven includes menial tasks such as dishes. It is by doing small tasks that we accomplish the great good of providing stability, love, safety, happiness, boundaries, healthy food, and spiritual nourishment to our children.
Mother's work is God's work. That is why we do it, and that is why it is important.
Comments