Some of you may laugh at the idea of me focusing, myself included, but I'm running with it. So I decided to deactivate my Facebook account. Can you believe it?! I know me neither!
I waste time on the computer, and even though I've been able to improve and go a day here and there without the computer I feel like I just sit around staring at Facebook all day, reading statuses, comics, articles and blogs that are posted or shared there. Even if it's not all day, it's my spare time, and isn't my spare time worth something more to me than to read Facebook? That's what I thought too.
One of my favorite things from TOFW I shared was that the food bloggers, Sarah and Kate don't read a bunch of other food blogs. This may seem unrelated to quitting Facebook but the connection I draw is that viewing too many other ideas (and just being distracted by them) saps individual creativity.
Therefore, I'm trying to focus on what I care about which is my kids and my own ideas and creativity. In other words, actually doing stuff instead of reading about other people not doing stuff on facebook, mingled with the occasional status about actual productivity.
So far, I enjoy being online so much more! I look at blogs I want to look at, and if I get bored I don't stare at Facebook I do something else. And let's face it, practically any other "something else" is better.
Side note:
I'm reading the book Boys Adrift- actually I just finished it and I'm working on the afterward. It is compelling!
Parents and educators everywhere should read it!
I know. I was surprised I even liked it.
I waste time on the computer, and even though I've been able to improve and go a day here and there without the computer I feel like I just sit around staring at Facebook all day, reading statuses, comics, articles and blogs that are posted or shared there. Even if it's not all day, it's my spare time, and isn't my spare time worth something more to me than to read Facebook? That's what I thought too.
One of my favorite things from TOFW I shared was that the food bloggers, Sarah and Kate don't read a bunch of other food blogs. This may seem unrelated to quitting Facebook but the connection I draw is that viewing too many other ideas (and just being distracted by them) saps individual creativity.
Therefore, I'm trying to focus on what I care about which is my kids and my own ideas and creativity. In other words, actually doing stuff instead of reading about other people not doing stuff on facebook, mingled with the occasional status about actual productivity.
So far, I enjoy being online so much more! I look at blogs I want to look at, and if I get bored I don't stare at Facebook I do something else. And let's face it, practically any other "something else" is better.
Side note:
I'm reading the book Boys Adrift- actually I just finished it and I'm working on the afterward. It is compelling!
Parents and educators everywhere should read it!
I know. I was surprised I even liked it.
Comments