I have been going out-of-my-mind crazy lately not doing any projects, sewing or otherwise and feeling like a pent-up volcano about to explode since I haven't broken out my sewing machine. Last night I couldn't sleep and I organized my fabric like a new mom folding and refolding her baby clothes in anticipation of her little one's arrival. I thought over each piece and the dreams I have for them. I usually spend about two months scheming and then a month actually working on projects, some so tiny like sewing buttons back on a jacket, or hemming some shorts, and then creating something from my imagination that works or is a complete flop. Creating is exhilarating, isn't it?
John loves to create a new website or program, then proudly displaying it's functionality. I adore a well-choreographed meal or a beautifully sewn dress or quilt. Tonight I whipped out the red paint and gave a white wooden anchor (for the boy's wall) a red makeover. It was so fun, and took only a few minutes. Why does it take me so long to actually get down to business? Maybe I will never know.
There is new fabric in the mail on its way to me. Need I say more? I am so excited!
TRAVEL LOG:
John and his dad drove our cars to the Bay Area from Texas and I flew with the three boys in multiple airplanes to Southern California, leaving only one carry-on item behind (which I literally ran to retrieve while holding Luke while Thomas and Spencer waited patiently on the plane for me). The boys were so good and loved flying and we had a great time together. The biggest mishaps were spilled orange juice and a quick change of clothes for Thomas, and a major fit from Spencer when he found out the rest of us planned on sharing his parfait. Since he was just hungry, he was easily satisfied and put to rights. Luke even napped.
John stayed at his dad's house and worked while waiting for our belongings to arrive in the moving truck.
Meanwhile I vacationed with my family at my parent's house and then at the beach for a week. I know, I have a hard life having to tag along to the beach. The boys loved digging in my parent's front yard where they are digging up the grass to put in sod, and then digging at the beach. It cracks me up that my two year old now asks to "go to beach" when I mention swimming. We had a wonderful time with family, great food, and beautiful weather. It was just sad that all of us Doty kids couldn't be there altogether.
We were greatly saddened by the sudden passing of my cousin's husband, James and tried to comfort each other as best we could. I especially missed John at that time, and we reminisced on James' personality and the time John first met him. It was the week of our 19th birthdays, and John and I were sitting on the couch holding hands at James' in-law's house. James strode in and pointed at our hands and said something awkwardly direct like "what's that you guys are doing, and who's this guy, Paige?" So of course I introduced James to John and he asked a bunch of forward questions to John about what he was doing with his life and when he said he was going on a mission to Brazil, James heartily shook his hand and said that was great. When we lose someone we wish we only knew them better, and we think of life more through their perspective. I frequently think about that in regards to a woman in my ward growing up who I had many interactions with, but whom I didn't get to know very well from my teenage perspective. She passed away while I was away at college and hearing about her more from her funeral was beautiful and inspiring.
One of the highlights of the trip was meeting my new niece, Elsie! I can't believe I had to wait 8 months before meeting her, and Karyann had to wait a year to meet Luke. Sometimes the world is so big. The two babies were absolutely adorable, and even more so babbling together.
We also met Bruce, the newest member of the Doty clan, a Golden Retriever puppy who is hilarious.
Finally finally finally we got to drive up to meet John, on Luke's first birthday and be with him for the weekend. We spent the first couple days at John's dad's house and then our things came and we spent two days unpacking our house before driving across Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado to visit John's Grandma for her Eightieth birthday.
Colorado was wonderful, we had a beautiful visit with the kid's Great Grandma Harrison, and most of John's family on his mom's side. It is always a neat experience to see the cousins play together, and Thomas especially enjoyed playing with his cousin Christopher, who he likes to call Christopher Columbus, but we discourage it. It's funny because since Thomas is only four we don't know where he picked up Christopher Columbus. One of my favorite things about being with family was seeing people interact with my children, especially Luke. After we came back to California we saw John's sister Deana again, and Luke recognized her. It was a proud moment for this momma.
On the way back to California we stayed a day in Utah to make the trip more bearable, and we were able to see a few friends. It was wonderful, except that we couldn't see all of our friends and family in Utah. My brother is so cute and handsome and it was great to see him. Best Elias quote of the trip, "I'm a terrible hostess." Yes, Elias, you are.
It's funny how I was exasperated at having to stay in Utah for so dang long after graduating from BYU, but that now it's a dear and wonderful place filled with so many good memories, and beautiful mountains. It was in the mountains that John and I first met and talked about our hopes and dreams for raising our children, little did we know that we'd get married and be living out those dreams together.
Now we are back in San Jose. It's been an adventurous summer already, so we look forward to as much boring in the future months as possible so we can enjoy our little family. We've been here for two weeks now, and I'm finally making my rounds through the rooms organizing things, but I have a long way to go.






Comments