OCTOBER
Oh October, I love thee.
How I love to love thee!
With your subtle hints-
the promise of cooler days to come!
The happy harvest, the colors, the scents
the commercialized chocolate.
You snap late apples into sweetness.
You allow all these to believe
that you are merely an extention
Of September.
And then you laugh.
A cold dark laugh, and
let Jack Frost out of his summer hideout.
You blow just a few leaves off their branches
where they cling for stability
and warmth.
You haze costumed children until
they add jackets and hats to their masks and paint.
You ridicule us with your frigid dawns.
But you are not so dark as you pretend.
You secretly love the taste of Strawberry Jam.
You relish in the harvest.
You envy November it's Thanksgiving Feast.
What is processed candy to mashed potatoes and gravy?
A farce. Fraud. Treachery.
There is no glory in your Halloween End of Days.
You lessen your grip on the cold.
You know icy felicity belongs to November.
And you wait.
Your time will come again.
Until next year when I will
adore you again my sweet-
October.
Comments