Since my last post I've tried forgiving myself more freely for my impatience and anger at my kiddos. It hasn't worked. I've actually been more annoyed and had a shorter fuse as I've told myself it's okay. I didn't mean to excuse my behavior, I meant to accept that it's normal and move on, but somehow it has backfired.
So now what?
I have no idea.
I believe it's important to be able to express anger and believe that it's not bad or evil, it's just an emotion, it's just information. Maybe I just don't know how to express anger in a healthy way? I can't think of any healthy ways. Okay, running is a healthy way to deal with anger, but I can't always go running during the day.
Saturday night I got really upset and luckily I was the only person in my house awake, at least the kids were supposed to be asleep in bed (and they don't get out), so I just left John sleeping with the kids- it was only 7:30pm! And I went for a little run and I came back happy to a little sleeping family. How often does that happen? It's never happened before, and not likely to happen again soon.
One idea I like is to put yourself in time-out- Mommy is going in time-out for a minute! But then what do you do? Go throw things in the peace of your own bedroom?
Should do push-ups?
What do you do when you're angry that actually works to not scare your kids, suppress your own feelings, and deal with the emotion?
One thing I am actively working on today is to replace my angry/mean/frustrated/impatient voice with my firm voice. You know the one that says, "Come here now." Not I AM GOING CRAZY GET OVER HERE BEFORE YOU ARE REALLY BUSTED PAL! voice that is actually more confusing.
Have a good day. Yes that is my firm voice. Go. Make it a good day! It's a new week! Woohoo! Fresh start.
Comments